Tuesday 3 September 2013

McCartney "New" Thoughts

So, the new song "New" from the new album "New" is out (you wouldn't believe how much that title has confused me!), how's it sounding?

I'm certainly not getting the comparisons with Penny Lane, to me it's much more reminiscent of Ever Present Past from Memory Almost Full, both musically and production wise. I really like Memory Almost Full, always have, but the production of it has never sat easy with me, it just sounds like the gain on everything was whacked up to peak levels and beyond. Anyway, "New" seems to be following that same pattern, maybe that's just down to a heavily compressed YouTube version but I doubt it. I hope the production style of MAF is not going to be repeated on the New album, we shall see....

It's great though just to have Macca back releasing new material. We've had Electric Arguments and Kisses to keep us occupied since 2007, as well as bonus bits n bobs on the archive collection releases, but a new solo album of original material is what we've been waiting for (yes, I know that's essentially what Electric Arguments was but....) .

So, is "New" any good?Yes, it's OK, it's not blowing me away yet, but it's pleasant enough. The one I'm looking forward to most is "Hosannah" which by all accounts is a "knock your socks off" song. As usual, I shall shun any advance leaks and hit it hard when it's officially released, can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment